A Complete Guide To Plunge & Courtyard Pools
If you are planning to have a swimming pool for your home, then you may want a courtyard pool. This is the common and best option for most homes. This pool can be added to your home either in the front or in the backyard, depending on your space available. Courtyard pools are open pools located outdoors allowing you and your family to enjoy a great time in the pleasant waters.
If you have decided to get a courtyard pool, then the next thing is to look at the different options available. The most important thing to decide is the type of pool. There are different types of pools to choose from. One of the popular pool types is the plunge pool. This article will tell you all that you want to know about plunge pools.
What Is A Plunge Pool?
A plunge pool is a small type of pool that is compact and would suit even small homes. These pools are usually 6 metres long and around 3.5 metres wide. The pool depth would generally not exceed 1.2 metres. The main objective of having a plunge pool is to utilize the limited space available to have a pool to relax.
The concept of plunge pools originated from pools that were formed at the bottom of a waterfall into which water plunged from the top. These natural pools offered health benefits. They offered people a great opportunity to relax and have an enjoyable time. A plunge pool is one that allows people to relax. It is not meant for serious swimmers but more for small families.
Features Of Plunge Pools
Plunge pools may be smaller in size compared to the regular pools, but they have a number of features. These features make the pool suited for all types of homes. The following information on features of plunge pools will help you understand more about what you can do with this type of pool:
- Plunge pools are available in different shapes and designs. You can have the regular rectangular shape or choose a square shape. You can even have an oval-shaped pool. A spa-styled circular pool is a good option. A small pool like a plunge pool can be made to look attractive through innovative design styles.
- These pools usually have a seating area around for you and your family to spend a relaxing time. You can even have a deck with a seating area near the pool.
- You can create landscaping around the pool. Spending a relaxing time in the pool amidst greenery is a great way to de-stress.
- If you have the budget, you can create an artificial waterfall near the pool. This will make it look a natural plunge pool. Kids will enjoy this waterfall.
- Swim jets are a great feature to add to your plunge pool. This turns your cosy pool into a spa. The pool can have spa jets that allow you to enjoy a water massage after a tiring day. Apart from spa jets, you can even have swim jets installed inside the pool. These jets fire water at high power. It can help you get a good workout while relaxing. It offers resistance in the water when you swim against it, you get a good exercise.
- If you live in cold weather, then you can include heating options for the pool. Spending time in a heated pool is a great way to beat the winter cold. A heating system can be easily installed. Since the plunge pool is small, it will not be too expensive to maintain.
- If you plan to use your pool at night, then you need lighting. Without lighting, there is the risk of an accident. You can have lighting around the pool or even floating lights in the pool. There are different lighting options to choose from. Colour LED lighting is less expensive and also makes your pool look great. This will be ideal if you like to host small pool parties for close friends.
- You can even add an underwater bike or treadmill if you have the budget. This will help you exercise in a more comfortable way. It also helps you lose more calories as compared to regular exercise.
- You can add entry steps with a railing for great convenience while using the pool.
- A pool cover is a feature that secures your pool and ensures safety. It also helps to retain heat during the cold season.
Why Choose A Plunge Pool?
If you still had a doubt on why you need a plunge pool, then you must understand the cost benefits or provides. A regular pool is large in size. Construction and installation would be expensive. Large pools have more water and need more time and expenses for maintenance. Heating large pools would be very expensive. On the other hand, the plunge pool is a small pool. It is much cheaper to install. It is also easy to maintain since it contains a lesser quantity of water. They are further easier to manage when they are made from fiberglass.
Plunge pools can be made from either concrete or fiberglass. Nowadays, it is the fiberglass pool that is more popular. Concrete pools may be strong but they are expensive to install. They need to be built on site and take more time. They are also not so easy to maintain. Fiberglass pools are made from tough glass and are very sturdy. The glass used has anti-slip material and is safe. It is lesser in cost, easy and fast to install, and easy to maintain. Fiberglass pools are pre-built and can be easily installed. This is why fiberglass is the most popular choice for plunge pool material.
Installing A Fiberglass Plunge Pool
Once you decide that you want a fiberglass plunge pool, then you need to get it installed. This is how the process works:
- You can contact a pool contractor who would visit your home to understand the space available. They would suggest pool shapes and designs to suit your home and the available space.
- They will also tell you the features you can add to your pool. A cost estimate will be provided.
- You can choose whether to install the pool above the ground or below. If you want it below the pool, excavation is needed and would be more expensive.
- Depending on the options chosen, the pool may cost anywhere from $2,000 to $50,000. A below the ground pool with all features would cost in the higher range. A basic plunge pool that is above the ground will come at a very cost-effective price.
- Fiberglass pools are pre-built. The contractor would get all the local approvals and install the pool. If you choose below the ground pool, then excavation is needed.
- The pool will be installed along with the features you choose and you can have an enjoyable time.
The information in this article would have helped you get complete information about plunge and courtyard pools. Now that you know about all these pools, if you are interested in getting the pool, get in touch with a pool contractor or consultant. The plunge or courtyard pool suiting your requirement can be installed at your home.